Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Plastic Reaction #5

I don't usually heat things up in plastic ... not because I'm smart but because it's just not my style. Today I had leftover rosemary chicken and nuked it for about a minute.

Sick. Nausea, indigestion, headache, foggy head ... general surliness.

So I did some poking. The container proudly displays the plastic number 5 on the bottom. Here's what I discovered: (blogspot links are still broken: http://ecovillagegreen.com/2009/04/what-do-the-plastic-recycling-numbers-mean/ ) ... polypropylene. Now, it's not clear that corn is definitely used in the manufacture of this... but a quick google search clarified that corn fibers can be used as a reinforcing agent in polypropylene composites as well as a corn resin that can be applied to act as a moisture and oxygen barrier.

In summary, American gluttony and wastefulness strikes again. I have a sense of doom that corn allergy sufferers are on the short list for evolutionary failure. Moral of the story, don't microwave plastic ... which shouldn't be news to any of us, don't eat/drink ANYTHING warm or hot out of a plastic container, better yet, don't eat/drink ANYTHING out of a plastic container no matter its temperature.

I'm tired of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment