Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dog treats !? - UPDATE

We have a new puppy and she's a gem, except she poops on the floor - which is not my favorite thing.  I decided to take treats outside and give her a treat every time she did her business where she's supposed to - that dog loves food more than any creature I've ever met, so it's going well.  Except for the fact that the dog treats are FILLED with corn.  I have hives all over my eyelids and jaw from getting that mess on my hands and not washing off right away (I'm outside, remember). 

So, I'm going to make my own dog treats!  F.U.N.

Here's the recipe adapted from this site:

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c water,
1/2 c. sunflower oil
2 eggs
3 tbsp peanut butter

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly grease your baking sheets.

Using a 1/2 teaspoon, scoop out a small amount of the dough into your hand. Press it down to flatten. Place the flattened dough on the greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes then turn off the oven. Let the cooked treats hang out in the oven for at least 20 minutes, so that they will harden.

Makes about 75 small biscuits (36 large)

I'll let you know how they turn out - a little effort, but she's worth it!

-----UPDATE -----

I made them, forgot the eggs and used bacon grease instead of sunflower oil.  Moe and Diekon LOVE them.  The kids and I like them pretty well too.  My husband found the idea of ingesting a bacon/peanut butter treat repulsive so refused to try them.  Chicken!

True to it's word, the recipe made about 75 biscuits.  It took us three cookie sheets to get them all ready - but now I have a gallon sized ziploc bag about half full of dog treats.  I don't know what the total cost was, but in eyeballing the ingredients, it sure wasn't much.



No comments:

Post a Comment