Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dutch Pumpernickel Bread - YEAST FREE!

My daughter has a yeast allergy - so I have to learn to modify recipes for both our allergies now.  Can make bread a little tricky!  This one was a win.  Served with cream cheese (Organic Valley) and baked salmon.

Modified from the Rodale Whole Foods Cookbook, which is (by the way) worth every penny:

Total prep time: approx. 10 mins

1 cup King Arthur All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup Horizon whole milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses (I used Brer Rabbit, and didn't notice a reaction, will update if one arrives later)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion chopped

mix all together and bake at 350 for 50/60 minutes.

The cookbook recommends lining the loaf pan with wax paper.  It worked well, but use caution when removing, it will rip the crust off!  I used a butter knife to hold the crust down while I slowly pulled the wax paper off.

Cool on a rack before trying to slice or it will fall to bits.  It may be that cooling before removing the wax paper would have been a good idea.  I'm a little slow sometimes so didn't think to wait.

Everyone loved it, the flavor is mildly sweet.  I'm not convinced it would work as a sandwich bread as it's not incredibly 'sturdy' but would go very well with my mom's potato soup!

I will try to update with a picture when we make it again.  Unfortunately, yesterday's loaf is already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment