Monday, April 13, 2009

Bananas?

I bought bananas on Friday, I don't know what brand (they were chiquita and very ripe) ... they were a little more yellow than normal but were clearly bananas. Bananas don't have corn right, fresh fruit, here I come!

Now, I still had two bananas left over from the last bunch and I'm AR about eating them in order, oldest to newest, so didn't pop one of the new ones off until this morning. I had swope (yum), banana and coffee (heavy whipping cream and raw sugar... all safe). 19 minutes later I was nauseous. Strange no?

Went to work, did my thing and suffered with the nausea and foggy headedness that had kicked in. Got hungry about 11 am and had my traditional late morning mini-meal of a banana and a bit of bread. Imagine my surprise when I got sicker!

Did you know that they gas some bananas? Uh huh, some sort of corn bullshit gas designed by satan to make my life HELL! I'll have facts for you at a later date, right now I'm mad and sick. *shakes fist at sky*

Okay, I'm back to add more information. It's ethylene gas that is used to ripen bananas ... the idea to avoid them is 1) aim for organic always, some say chiquita is okay ... please see my experience above and 2) buy green bananas (clearly not ripened). It also appears that this method can be used for avocados (avoid the 'ripe today' stickers), mangos, pineapple and tomatoes.... I have no idea how you could tell the last three, I guess you look for organic and pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment